ING is looking for an experienced Chapter Lead to help build on our data led ambition for the Wholesale Lending Business.
ING’s goal is to enable people to “do their thing” and empower them to stay a step ahead in life and business. We are one of the largest banks in Europe and we continuously evolve to become one of the most innovative companies in the banking sector.
Within Tribe Lending we have set ourselves on a mission to become fully digitized and data led so as to enhance the experience of our Clients and our employees. Lending is the core of ING’s lifeline. Hence also the driver in ING’s transformation journey.
In our urge to make complex Lending simple, reusing data, following the patterns it provides and predicting the investments we make in our clients is key. We are tackling fundamental, high impact solutions in the financial services industry. Our Tribe consists of roughly 120 professionals and we are growing to accelerate this transformation journey. We are talking of making a fresh start, being creative, challenging the status quo and defer decisions to data and algorithms. We are talking of game changers. So if this sounds exciting and nerve wrecking at the same time, read on!
What is the role we hiring for?
As we continue our growth and establishing the added value data science and machine learning will bring to this transformation journey, we seek a leader for our data science chapter. This means you must be a hands-on coach. A Chapter lead role splits his/her time 50-50 over engineering and leading a chapter. Your key responsibilities
You hierarchically oversee a chapter of 9 data scientists. This covers the recruiting of new talents, administration, personal development, and evaluation of your Chapter members. You inspire and encourage your Chapter members to develop themselves, providing them coaching on both the professional as well as the personal level.
- Stimulates 9 Chapter members towards continuous improvement of their skills and the area of expertise as a whole enabling a learning organization
- Developing individuals and teams and maintains a high level of performance, taking into account teams can work at different locations, countries and time zones
- Oversees the portfolio of AI use cases in the Lending Tribe. Identifies and resolves impediments for AI use cases with Tribe leadership.
- Highly proficient at identifying international market trends that may impact the way of working of IT professionals, and able to adopt and implement these trends
- Being an ambassador for cultural change and a role model in terms of the new Agile Way of Working: ensure continuous learning based on feedback, taking into account the different backgrounds of people across cultures and geographies
- Determines, together with the Chapter members, the way of working in his/her IT Chapter and sets standards for the area of expertise
- Highly proficient at helping the organisation structure complex engineering issues
- Challenge the status-quo & accelerate our work and capabilities to transition from building models to delivering state-of-the-art data driven process flows and decisions
- Enable our squads to make an impact and drive the growing process we undergo as Tribe Lending.
- Promote data driven approaches in the Lending Tribe and drive the business transformation together with our business stakeholders and IT architects.
- Work as a senior data scientist on AI use cases that deliver real and meaningful value to our end users (mainly Front Office) and ultimately to ING customers by reducing “Time to Yes” and “Time to comply”.
Who should apply?
At ING, we promote diversity not just because it is the right thing to do, but because it’s essential for delivering on our strategy. To stay a step ahead we need teams with a healthy mix of contrasting perspectives and backgrounds as they are more creative, faster to adapt and more inventive with their solutions. We strive to hire a workforce as diverse as the communities in which we operate, and we will consider every application, regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability or age.
If you are an experienced leader in the advanced analytics data science and machine learning (6+ years’ experience) with the proven track record to mentor, coach or develop people, and with the passion of leading teams to drive results and interact with stakeholders, we would love to hear from you.
Additional optional criteria which will be considered separately as a “plus”:
- Strong plus - Experience in applying data science to Front office banking processes (e.g. Credit Approval, Monitoring, etc)
- MSc or PhD with excellent academic results in the field of Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering, Econometrics or similar.
- Excellent understanding of machine learning applications & algorithms, both supervised and unsupervised. Knowledge of Text Extraction and/or NLP techniques is an additional advantage.
- Experience with open source machine learning technologies and platforms (i.e. R, Python, Tensorflow). Working with internal and external, structured and unstructured data sources (news feeds and social media like twitter ) usage experience is an additional advantage.
- You actively keep up to date with the latest developments and to incorporate them in your work - Being able to walkthrough/demo some self-built real-life solutions with practical purpose/challenges/results and/or tangible results of open machine learning competitions (Kaggle) will be great
- You embody our orange code in your professional manner: you take on activities and responsibilities and make them happen, you help others to be successful, and you are one step ahead in anticipating your colleagues and stakeholders.
What we oﬀer
- A job from 36 to 40 hours that ﬁts your schedule to balance work and private life.
- A salary tailored to your qualities and experience
- Flexible working hours and the possibility to work from home some of the days
- Travel reimbursement
- 24 vacation days with 36-hour work week. (or 27 days with 40)
- Pension scheme
- 13th month salary
- Individual Savings Contribution (BIS), 3.5% of your gross annual salary
- 8% Holiday payment
- Personal growth and challenging work with endless possibilities
- An informal working environment with innovative colleagues
- Work Agile, so new ideas come to life faster