ING is looking for an experienced Chapter Lead to help build on our data led ambition for the Wholesale Lending Business. ING’s goal is to enable people to “do their thing” and empower them to stay a step ahead in life and business. We are one of the largest banks in Europe and we continuously evolve to become one of the most innovative companies in the banking sector.
Within Tribe Lending we have set ourselves on a mission to become fully digitized and data led so as to enhance the experience of our Clients and our employees. Lending is the core of ING’s lifeline. Hence also the driver in ING’s transformation journey.
In our urge to make complex Lending simple, reusing data, following the patterns it provides and predicting the investments we make in our clients is key. We are tackling fundamental, high impact solutions in the financial services industry. Our Tribe consists of roughly 120 professionals and we are growing to accelerate this transformation journey. We are talking of making a fresh start, being creative, challenging the status quo and defer decisions to data and algorithms. We are talking of game changers. So if this sounds exciting and nerve wrecking at the same time, read on!
What is the role we hiring for?
As the need for reliability grows with every critical application that we add to our landscape, we seek for an experienced Chapter Lead to help our tribe become more automation and reliability driven by setting up the right design patterns and processes to make sure we have an observable, reliable and if possible self-healing product landscape.
The IT Chapter Lead:
- Is accountable to identify and fulfil Tech knowledge gaps within the tribe ensuring that Tribes/Squads are qualitatively properly staffed.
- Stimulates the Chapter members towards continuous improvement of their skills and the area of expertise as a whole.
- Encourages and stimulates employees to take responsibility for their own development and employability.
- Coaches individual Chapter members, both regarding expertise related skills and behavioural aspects.
- Propagates a culture that fits with the agile way of working and is a role model
- He/she/they is/are an embodiment of the Orange Code
- Determines, together with the Chapter members, the way of working in his/her/their IT Chapter and sets standards for the area of expertise.
- Is hands-on (Dev)Ops Engineer with a SRE mindset and able to deliver value within a squad and the Tribe overall
You hierarchically oversee a chapter of 10-12 engineers, including ‘people management’. This covers the recruiting of new talents, administration, personal development, and evaluation of your Chapter members. You inspire and encourage your Chapter members to develop themselves, providing them coaching on both the professional as well as the personal level. In short, your key responsibilities are:
- Being an ambassador for cultural change and a role model in terms of the new Agile Way of Working: ensure continuous learning based on feedback, taking into account the different backgrounds of people across cultures and geographies
- Developing individuals and teams and maintains a high level of performance, taking into account teams can work at different locations, countries and time zones
- Being responsible for 10-12 Engineers sharing passion and expert knowledge in (Dev)Ops Engineering
- Highly proficient at identifying international market trends that may impact the way of working of IT professionals, and able to adopt and implement these trends
- Highly proficient at helping the organisation structure complex engineering issues, aware of different development methodologies, end-to-end testing, Identity and Access Management, IT Risk control, infra provisioning, Change Management, CI/CD
- Encouraging and facilitating people in the Chapter to continuously develop themselves, both personally and within their area of expertise, so that they remain up-to-date in their field of expertise.
- Working in a squad as an engineer across various aspects of system engineering including Operating systems, middleware, application servers, Database etc
- Setting up appropriate monitoring/observability for complex systems
Who should apply?
At ING, we promote diversity not just because it is the right thing to do, but because it’s essential for delivering on our strategy. To stay a step ahead we need teams with a healthy mix of contrasting perspectives and backgrounds as they are more creative, faster to adapt and more inventive with their solutions. We strive to hire a workforce as diverse as the communities in which we operate, and we will consider every application, regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability or age.
If you are an experienced (Dev)Ops engineer with a proven track record of managing various stakeholders and applications simultaneously, mentoring/coaching colleagues to help them develop, and of course to design, automate and maintain end to end ecosystems consisting of following technologies, we would love to hear from you!
We expect you to have hands on experience on a big chunk of the following technologies/concepts and have at least a general understanding of the rest
- Windows systems administration including events/services and asp.net/.net core applications running on iis
- Unix/Linux administration
- Tomcat application administration
- Powershell scripting and automation
- Networking concepts and Windows networking
- Monitoring and observability implementations
- RDBMS concepts and performance management (Oracle/MSSQL)
- Azure pipelines (other CI/CD solutions can also be considered)
- Containerization and container orchestration technologies (K8S/Openshift )
- Core SRE concepts, SLI/SLA/Error budgets and experience in how to implement various SRE models within the organization
- ELK stack and Prometheus+Grafana
- Incident/problem management, and being on-call
- Enterprise scheduling solutions (TWSd,UAC)
- Python scripting
- Ansible automation
- Infrastructure as code (Terraform/Pulumi), everything as code and of course git
Additional optional criteria which will be considered separately as a “plus”:
- Strong plus - Experience in applying SRE concepts to Front office banking processes (e.g. Credit Approval, Monitoring, etc)
- MSc or PhD with excellent academic results in the field of Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering, Econometrics or similar.
- You have a crystal clear understanding of Agile WoW
- You actively keep up to date with the latest developments and to incorporate them in your work
- You embody our orange code in your professional manner: you take on activities and responsibilities and make them happen, you help others to be successful, and you are one step ahead in anticipating your colleagues and stakeholders.
What we oﬀer
- A job from 36 to 40 hours that ﬁts your schedule to balance work and private life.
- A salary tailored to your qualities and experience
- Flexible working hours and the possibility to work from home some of the days
- Travel reimbursement
- 24 vacation days with 36-hour work week. (or 27 days with 40)
- Pension scheme
- 13th month salary
- Individual Savings Contribution (BIS), 3.5% of your gross annual salary
- 8% Holiday payment
- Personal growth and challenging work with endless possibilities
- An informal working environment with innovative colleagues
- Work Agile, so new ideas come to life faster