Chapter Lead Software Engineering
Banking has changed dramatically over the past years. With ING’s Think Forward Strategy, we are creating a differentiating customer experience. Within ING Tech – Banking Technology Platform, we are providing a Process Automation Platform(using Pega software) for all 40+ countries to enable our strategic ambitions. The purpose of our department is to productize our process automation capabilities to the rest of ING word wide.
Due to a dynamic market, ING has a greater demand for digitalization with more process automation and more reuse, therefore our role as a global platform is crucial to accelerate this view as we are at the core of process automation.
The Process Automation Platform/One Pega Platform provides a standard and easy way to digitize processes and providing process automation capabilities like workflow management using Pega BPM software.
Part of our Platform as a service model, we are providing to our customers services like: Software reusable components, Infrastructure, Life cycle management, Pipelines, Self service capabilities, and Architectural designed guidance, in order for them to build on top of the Platform their customer journey applications, helping them with the heavy lifting of the activities that are not a differentiator in their value proposition and providing them with great opportunities for re-use cross teams, domains and countries.
What you will do
As an Engineer Chapter Lead, you are responsible for leading and inspiring a chapter of ~15 engineers, in different locations around the world, working with ING internals but also with our main offshore partners.
Your main task is to enable your engineers to grow their mastery and get better in what they do every day by using industry best practices, but also having the lead role to set up this best practices, standards and using the latest methodologies in software development. Operational excellence, Reuse, Continuous Improvement, Automation and Customer focus is at the core of what we do and are our guiding values. In the other part of your time, as a lead engineer, you set the example, share your knowledge, drive innovation, voice your opinion and deliver as a member of our tribe by being responsible of some of our strategic initiatives. What you build is also what you operate! You will see your own code work in production and you will solve any issue arising with it together with your team!
You will also work on special assignments that are important for our Platform as an integrated part of the broader ING Tech Baking Technology Platform aligning to the rest of the Platform Services and helping achieving ING’s vision. Next to that, you are part of our leadership team. Together with the other chapter leads, Product Lead and the IT Lead we develop our vision and execute our strategy to inspire our engineers to grow and drive tech innovation.
As a Chapter Lead in our department, you will be responsible to develop, deliver and to innovate on the features of ING’s Process Automation Platform.
Your work environment
ING works in multi-disciplinary teams based on Agile and DevOps principles. ING adopted a model where we work in teams that contain IT engineers and Customer Journey experts. We are delivering a Product and therefore we are structured like a Product organization, where we are responsible both for the product but also for the implementation of the product.
Following AGILE SCRUM methodology , you will be responsible of :
- Building ING’s Global Process Automation Platform
- Building, Management and Development of the team (People Leadership)
- Hands-on (coding) and Technical guidance (Technical Lead)
- Build & lead the team, motivate & mentor the team and be the team representative
- Conduct performance appraisals with the team and follows up (administration, career management, performance management, etc.)
- Create a culture in which employees take responsibility, help each other to be successful and always stay a step ahead
- Role model in the development of your own capability across industry trends, technologies, methodologies and behaviors
- Train engineers to become multiskilled in order to limit the number of roles and handovers
- Encourages knowledge sharing and the application of standards within the field
- Develop financial and people resource plans for the area, ensuring resources are in place and operating effectively within the technical discipline
- Software development :
- Technical Leader of the Software as a service team
- Handle delivery – identify, manage and escalate delivery issues and risks
- As a leader in the software engineering community you will play a key role in the continual advancement of our engineering practices through practices such as Agile and Continuous Delivery but you must also remain highly aware of industry trends and bring the best of the global engineering practices to ING
- Supervise the general planning (schedules, holidays, etc.)
- Support the applications in production environment that are under your team’s portfolio
- Help your chapter members to:
- Design and build reusable services following Service Oriented Design principles
- Engineering solutions which are highly secure, maintainable and performant at scale
- Write code that is easy to read, highly maintainable, and written with automated testing in mind
- Contribute to the implementation of the Platform strategy. Translate the strategy in terms of the Chapter
- Champion effective adoption of continuous delivery methodology, practice and attitudes / mindsets
- Champion continuous improvement – i.e. bettering the way we do things
- Lead in the adoption of Agile / Scrum practice, methodologies and attitudes. Role model Agile leadership behaviors
Knowledge and experience:
- Demonstrated extensive experience and proficient understanding of tools across full software delivery lifecycle, e.g. IDE, source control, CI, test, mocking, work tracking, defect management, etc.
- Expert in full stack development and proven long term experience in developing applications, e.g. database, services and user interface. preferable using:Java, Spring, Kafka, RESTful / API technology, DB: T-SQL, Testing: Selenium, API Automation
- Experience with continuous delivery, continuous integration, code quality (Git, Artifactory, Azure DevOps, Ansible, Docker, Kubernetes, testing frameworks).
- Experienced in building and running complex and high availability systems
- Understand system reliability, resiliency, scalability and fault tolerance / recovery
- Very good understanding of software design principles and patterns, Software Architecture and Security
- Experiences in working in a complex environment with Agile methods and Software development frameworks
- Strong delivery track record
- Familiar with the DevOps & Infrastructure concepts. Experience with DevOps teams is a plus.
- Experience in Technical leadership of delivery for significant software applications / projects
- Experience with distributed teams
- Experience in a Platform building environment is a plus
- Experience in developing application in Pega is a plus
- Knowledgeable on Red Hat operating systems, networking, clustered environments, virtualization - and/or containerization technologies, cloud technologies is a plus
Occasional travel abroad for project related activities, knowledge build-up and getting to know your colleagues is required.
- Strong technical leadership skills, including coaching, consensus building, and ability to effectively manage competing priorities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills – ability to explain technical solutions to both technical and non-technical audiences
- You are customer-focused and communicative, and enjoy working as part of a team
- Mindset and ability to automate anything
- You work in a meticulous and structured way
- Strong capabilities to build internal confidence in a situation of constant change
- Strong analytical thinking - ability to diagnose and resolve ambiguous problems
- Strong resilience, constructive and collaborative mindset
- Willingness to continuously improve technical skills
- You have excellent problem-solving skills and passion for and the ability to redesigning processes
- Self-motivated and ability to prioritise and delegate to achieve exceptional outcomes
- Ability to network and acute awareness of changes within the global industry and profession
- Ability to step out of the comfort zone
What we offer
- Flexible working hours and the possibility to work at home, 36 or 40 hour working week
- 24 vacation days with a 36-hour working week. If you work 40 hours a week, you will receive 27 vacation days
- Pension scheme
- 13th month salary
- Individual Savings Contribution (BIS), 3.5% of your gross annual salary
- 8% Holiday payment
- Lots of opportunities for personal education and growth
- An enthusiastic team in a welcoming environment
- An area that is always on the move and where we need to ensure continuity as well as to innovate. If you want to make an impact, build a worldwide Platform, you can join the coolest tech area of ING and be a part of the future!
Contact the recruiter attached to the advertisement for more information. Want to apply directly? Please upload your CV and motivation letter by clicking the “Apply” button.